Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Job

This is typically my place to examine and reflect on life at home.  I am really struggling at work and thought maybe this would be a good place to examine life on the job.  Over the past few months, I've become increasingly unhappy.  I'm not sure if it's because I've remained in the same place with the same people, who really are almost all like family to me, or if it's because my supervisor is gone so often.  While frequently that is a good thing, it's gotten to the point where I feel like I'm just a small person in a small place with a small job, where my sole purpose is to clean up after other people, not in a housekeeping sense, but in a crisis management sense.  Like the failure of others to do their job, for which they are paid big bucks, results in me running around like a chicken with my head cut off, and never being able to complete anything or do a good job at any task.  Frustration.  With a capital F.

So I start looking for other work.  At the same place.  But they decide to do an overhaul of time off (vacation, sick, etc.).  So now do I want to continue to work here?  I don't know. I'm so cynical and tired.  And really, I want to make pretty things.  I'm tired of doing what i have to do to take care of my family.  Thankfully, the day to day existence is better now, but I'm still stuck.  Clearly I have first world problems, but I want to make a difference to the world.  So, I will continue to wait and see what God may have planned.  I will look for windows he's opened, and hope for a giant garage door flung wide open that I need to walk through.  I can't figure out what is next.

Thankfully family is well and safe and healthy (as much as we can be with our dysfunction).  For that I'm grateful.  And the sunshine.  It makes winter a lot more bearable.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it is just the February Blues? Although I do understand a job where you have to take care of things that the Biggers get paid a lot to do. You are doing them and not reaping the full reward, money wise. Is there another department, still at Purdue, where you could transfer too. To get a new outlook? Do you really have to work full time? Yes--I forgot. You have a son in college--out of state college where tuition is higher. Well, you are doing the right thing. Thinking, putting your wishes before God and waiting to see what He presents to you. It WILL come!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through this over the past year, and it still kind of creeps up on me. I'm hoping to relocate after the boys graduate and try to make a difference in the world. My world, at least. Sometimes, though, the thought of THREE MORE YEARS seems like an eternity.
    I started wondering if this is possibly my version of a mid-life crisis. The kids are more self-sufficient. My house now requires repairs, not throw pillows. And for my job, this is it? This is all I'm ever going to be?
    Sometimes that thought is suffocating and I want to breath into a paper bag. When will it be our turn for fulfillment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is my midlife crisis. I do feel like - is this it?? It doesn't seem enough.
      I do have an interview later in the week. Maybe I just need to walk through it and see what happens. I may have to take my paper bag with me to breathe into!

      Delete
  3. Really a beautiful blog.It is very astonishing and marvelous design.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete