Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Dear Santa

Dear Santa,

This year, I've been asked and asked what I want for Christmas.  It seems like it gets harder and harder for me to figure out what I want.  Maybe it's because I've gotten older and wiser, and now I know that what I'd really like can't be bought or even brought down the chimney.  It's been a real heck of a year, some things good, some things not so good, and here we are looking back.
Santa, I've been a really good girl, and thanks for thinking of me, but really, I just want the peace that passes understanding.  And, mostly, I've got that when I can lay down my need to control, or at least the delusion of control.  God is so good, and I see Him at work even in the midst of the trials we face.
I would like to help my friend who is suffering the loss of her son.  I'd like my husband to get sober.  Not just quit drinking, but really get sober.  It would be fabulous if my son could get the grades that truly reflect his intelligence and ability.  I'd like for my children to feel the love and adoration of a father more days than they feel cast aside by him.  I'd like for my best friend to not have money worries every day.  I'd like children to stop dying of cancer and being shot by people who are crazy.  I'd like our government to make more sense and better choices.
Yep, it sounds like I'm delusional.  Oh well, Santa.  I guess I'll just have to settle for the furnace and refrigerator that were so kind to go out on the same day. 
But thanks for reminding me that the best gifts don't cost a thing.

1 comment:

  1. There is no Santa--so stop wishing, LOL. God is the only one who can change a thing,...but that person needs to want to change. God never forces us to do anything--it is His will to let us have free will. I wish He WOULD step in and change things, but one thing for sure--He keep us going--He gives us hope--and He is always there for us. Merry Christmas, Melissa--you are a BLESSING to me!!!

    ReplyDelete