Thursday, November 29, 2012

I see the moon

This month has been crazy busy.  So much sadness and hurt in the world, so much going on.  I'm doing well with my al-anon living, even with being sick for most of the last 3 weeks.  Finally feeling better, but still not 100%.  Let's see what my ADD brain is containing for today:
We have been through 4 birthdays, thanksgiving, and now face a college graduation and Christmas.  Meanwhile, I've really been noticing the moon lately.  There is a full moon, a harvest moon even.  It has been big and bright and visible every night. One night I got up at 3:00 a.m., and it looked like there were floodlights on in the back yard.  It was that bright!
Our dear, dear neigbor passed away just last night.  It's so sad, but he was an older gentleman, WWII veteran, ex-POW, and had lived a full, good life.  As I looked up, I thought how many moons had washed their light over his life.  Through the times in a depression era, as a soldier in the POW camp, as his children were born, the days he planted and harvested his crops. 
Our lives ebb and change, and still the sun rises, sets, the moon rises, the moon changes.  That same moon that saw him through those years of trials and blessings will continue to shine on my life too.
For his life, I'm thankful.  And what a blessing to have gotten to know him.


3 comments:

  1. I have a great affinity for a full moon--I always go out on the porch and howl at it--just because--I can't howl as loud as I used to--when I lived out on the farm--and that is a good thing because here, the neighbors are real close. I hope we have many, many moons yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After attending the funeral of this great man, I discovered he has had a life-long attraction to the full-moon. It peaked on the evening he passed away. God is so good. I love when little glimpses of Him peek out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW--me too!!! I read the obit you posted--he sounded like a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete